Saturday, February 2, 2013

Vanessa and Bettyann...MONTHS in the making!

OK - not only was the pattern months in the making, but so was this post!  I went into book writing mode, and my bloggy brain shut down.  The manuscript is in, so I can yammer again :) .

Jennifer and I are so happy to announce our two newest Sis Boom patterns!  Vanessa (for women) and Bettyann (for girls) are very simple, loose-fitting shift dresses. 

Photobucket 
 
When Jen first showed me this design idea early last spring, I thought "no problem...a band, some straps, and the rest is just gathered and flowy" - wrong.  Turns out, it was one of the most complex projects I've worked on so far!  I started out making the bodice band fitted, but that made for saggy straps.  Honestly, I was ready to scrap the whole thing, but Jennifer kept after me because she knew this style was in demand.  So I went back to the drawing board...added in some ease, made the back fully elasticized for necessary give, and tweaked the strap positioning.  I also added curves and slants in all the right spots to make everything hang nicely and cover beautifully.  Since I was in the middle of a move from MD to NY, I really relied on my quality control team to make sure this one was a go.  Here are a just few of the pics...
 
Photobucket

Judy of Hickity Pickity made mommy-and-me maxi dresses for her gorgeous girlies!  She's been selling her handmade frocks like crazy at art shows in Florida and around the world in her Etsy Shop!
 
 
 Photobucket 
 
And oh my goodness, of course Jenny jumped in and made a great top for herself!  She is just as cute in person, I can say this with authority because I got to meet her at Quilt Market!!!
 
 
Photobucket
 
Oh - and look at Jenny's little daughter Kelsey!  Clever Mama paired the Bettyann with a Leighanna made from ruffle fabric!
 

Photobucket
Awww - here is Christine's little doll Eleanor!  She looks great (and cozy) in her dress with a turtleneck underneath!

Photobucket
 
Jeanne's little girl (above) in the Bettyann, and her almost grown-up girl (below...doesn't she look just like Amanda Seyfried?) in the Vanessa!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Jen went for all the options (ruffle sleeves, pockets) and I just love the results!


Photobucket
Kristina - an awesome photographer AND talented seamstress - made this Vanessa for her tween.  Perfection!

Photobucket

My friend Sheri, who I left behind in Baltimore (sniff sniff) made this.  The little one did her own accessorizing :) .

Photobucket
This is the back of Cathy's dress.  She is my queen of customer service, and is always getting requests for back views, so she gets the pics!
 

Andrea made the most darling circus-themed Bettyann (complete with Easy Fit Pants) AND she drafted a mini-me dolly-version!!!!
 
Oh!  and here is one more recent addition from Judy! Awwww!
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

You were just as cute as could be at Market too girlie!!!! So glad to finally meet you!

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

And we LOVE this pattern! A staple!