Monday, February 7, 2011

Tee time!

A few months ago, Jen from Stitch Simple invited me to participate in the Great Knit Fabric Experiment. Just from the name I could tell the challenge was right up my alley! Participants were provided with wonderful organic knit fabric from Harmony Art and asked to come up with a tutorial. I decided to focus my "research" on designing the perfect dolly T-shirt...something stylish, great fitting, and most importantly EASY TO SEW!

Photobucket


I selected the lime green interlock for my project. I have a bin full of knits, and I have to say this is some of the nicest stuff I have ever worked with. It is thick and soft, and the color is vibrant...just gorgeous. And since it came to me from Stitch Simple, it was prewashed and ready to sew - YAY! I couldn't have asked for a better substrate :)!

Below are a few pictures from my experiment...

Photobucket

Stitching (with a little help from a secret weapon ;) )


Photobucket

Adding the neckband (secret weapon at work again)


Photobucket

Almost finished

...and here is the end result!

Photobucket

Front View


Photobucket

Back View


Photobucket

Short Sleeved Version


Photobucket

If you are new to sewing with knits, doll clothes are a great starting point. They require so little fabric, but you still get to go through all the steps involved in constructing a knit garment.

The free doll T-shirt pattern and detailed sewing instructions can be downloaded here.

Click on the image below for more Great Knit Fabric Experiment tutorials!

Photobucket

22 comments:

DianeY said...

Thank you so much for the pattern. I just started sewing some dolly clothes as one of my granddaughters is very into dolls. Since the doll lives 5000 miles from me (Hawaii to Maryland) I don't have it to measure to. It is an American Girl doll-I believe 16" (or 18") Does this pattern fit that size doll?

Jen said...

Pre-hemming. Brilliant! That is going to be a life saver for baby clothes too.

Harmony said...

Thanks for participating The Experiment. I am glad you enjoyed working with the fabric and I LOVE the doll clothes. What fun!

MotherT said...

Thanks so much! Those t's are adorable!

Kelly said...

Everytime I made a pair of easy fits or a skirt for one one of the girls dolls, I wish that I had a tee to go with it. Now I do!! Thanks so much Carla!

Francisca said...

Thank you for the pattern! I can try this on my new (oke second hand) coverlockmachine.

Anonymous said...

Doll clothes - why didn't I think of that? I have so many scraps of lovely knits...my daughter is going to be very, very happy!

Mama Lusco said...

Thank you!

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

These are adorable! I have to make some for my girls AG dolls!

Mirza said...

Great tutorial!!!!!

Char said...

Great tutorial! And love the models too. I will be sharing this with my readers at DollDiaries.com soon - they love doll crafts and patterns.

Carolina said...

How incredibly cute! And very simple. When my niece gets old enough to play with dolls, I'll have to try this one out... : )

...t. said...

ok, seriously...Rebecca needs a whole wardrobe, than you for reminding me. This tee shirt may be first though.

Anonymous said...

WOW !!! Thanks for the fantastic directions, tips, and pattern. I had given up on ever being able to make usable knit clothes for my American Girl Dolls until I found your post last week. The directions are fantastic, and the hints are incredible. Glue stick for the velcro -- duh! Thanks again!

Karen

Grandma G said...

I just made one of these shirts for my granddaughter's AG doll. Great tutorial... easy and quick to sew. I'm sure I will be making more. Thanks for the tutorial!

You can see my shirt here:
http://aphotosworth.blogspot.com/2013/04/american-girl-doll-shirt.html

Theresa C. Eldridge said...

God bless you! This is exactly what I have been searching for!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

patri di bamboleenonsolo said...

grazie mille molto utile.
kiss
patri

patri di bamboleenonsolo said...

grazie mille molto utile
kiss
patri

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this pattern! Are seam allowances already included? How large? I'm in Europe and most of the patterns I use don't include seam allowances so I would like to be sure. Thank you! Jana

Carla Hegeman Crim said...

seam allowances are included in all of our patterns :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this pattern. I had made three skirts for my cousins' baby doll, but I needed a top pattern and had been unable to find one.
Thank you

Suzy said...

Thanks for this pattern! I have just sewn a batch of doll clothes for my daughter's preschool and this was perfect. I love the pre-hemming idea.